Liv - ing Life

My updates on my life and thoughts about the crazy things I am about to throw myself into. Welcome to the Life of Liv.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

India - first day

SO! Im here now. In the capital of India, Delhi. Oooh, god, dont know where to start. Let me start by describing the first thing that happened to me here, the drive from the airport.
I arrived in Delhi airport early Tuesday morning and was picked up by Jahnvi, my roommate in my first year or RCN, and her boyfriend. We took a taxi to go to Jahnvi's place and right away I saw that all the things I heard about India are true, but it's crazy seeing things with your own eyes. Firstly, yes there are cows walking around the street all over the place. They do not seem frightened of the cars at all, the just stand there and eat off the few trees around. I also saw a monkey on the way and a kamel, just standing there. There are wild dogs running around everywhere, I guess living my the eatable garbage they can find.
The first thing that shocked me on the taxi drive was the traffic. Don't think Ive ever tried anything more life-threatening (dont worry, mum, I will survive!) than driving here in Delhi. No one uses the lanes, so even though there is marked 3 lanes, there are 5 colums of vehicles. The traffic is a mixture of cars, bikes, walking people, rigshaws, and small kind-of-cars/motor operated bikes called autos, which are used to transport from 1 to I guess 6 people can fit in there, around. All of these different vehicles are trying to get past each other as fast as possible, in and out. They constantly use horns to warn each other and just to say "get out of my way" and so there is a hell lot of noise. The taxi driver used his horn all the time and also his arm out of the window to direct other cars out of his way. At some point the car infront of us stopped suddenly, we slowed down fast and the car behind us, which was of course kept no distance and driving at a very fast pace, drove right into us with a huge bump. I got a shock, but it wasnt worse than we were all jumping a bit and then that was it. So the two cars stopped in the middle of the road, the taxi driver got out and started shouting at the man who had hit us. I looked out of the back seat window and saw that a woman and a little child was in the front seat of the other car. The child was crying, but they were not injured. The front of the other car had lost a part and so I could see right into the motor, but apparently nothing had happened to the taxi, so the men just got back into their cars and drove on.
I remember my mother telling me about the hectic traffic of Casablanca in Morroco, when we use to live there, but still this is wilder than I had imagined.
All around the roads people are sitting, standing, talking and selling food, water and other small things. You can also see people living there, in small tents or lousy material, very slum-like.
I understand now what it means to live in a country with a 1 billion people population. There are people EVERYWHERE. Mainly men, but also women and few children.
Untill now I havent seen other white people than myself. I am stared at a lot and so I got the feeling that even though this is the capital, people are not that use to white people walking around.
Back to the taxi drive, we all survived it and arrived at Jahnvi's place. She lives in a SOS city and that was a really nice place. They live 10 kids in a house with a mother taking care of them. There were around 5 houses and a school, which was public.
I took a shower, which consisted of a bucket of water and a mug so I could poure water over my body with that. Then I slept, since I had basically been awake all night, didnt sleep much on the plane here.
In the evening we went into the center of Delhi, where Jahnvis sister lives at a hostel and I would sleep there. I ate with Jahnvi, her sister and boyfriend at this little place serving food on the street. The food here is really good actually, and I think I can get use to the many hot spicies.
Jahnvi is leaving for the US on Sunday and after that I will be on my own for 2 weeks. But I dont think I can stay in Delhi all that time. It's such a crowded, dense city, poluted, so much traffic and hectics and I will need to get away from here. So I am planning on visiting some places around that Jahnvi and her boyfriend is recommending me.
It surprised me that there are no places which are completely clean, pure or look Westernized. Yesterday I saw the place which is suppose to be a fashionable shopping place, and it still looked nothing like Europe. Today I saw Jahnvi's boyfriend's place, Amit is his name, by the way, and even though he is middle class with a good job and relatively high income, it was just a very small place with two rooms and a tiny bathroom. Very little furniture and madras on the floor. At some point there was a power cut, and because it was build in such a dense place with so many appartments, there were no windows and everything turned completely black. I think it was off for half an hour and Amit told me that it happened because there was a lack of electricity in Delhi, so sometimes they would cut it one place, to give it somewhere else.
I feel quite misplaced here, and I dont know how things will be when Jahnvi leaves, but Amit has promised to take a bit care of me and so I wont be completely lost.
But I am doing okay despite of this and it is breath taking to see such a different way of living and having a city. But I must admit that I am happy our work is not here in Delhi, but hopefully a more calm place.
I will very much appreciate to hear from people and thanks for the comments I already got. It is always a pleasure for me to hear from friends.
I hope everyone is doing good. Thanks for reading all the way down here :)

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Veruska said...

Liv! :-) So nice to read your post.. no time to respond now.. will write you later :-) keep enjoying yourself..
vera

 

Post a Comment

<< Home