Liv - ing Life

My updates on my life and thoughts about the crazy things I am about to throw myself into. Welcome to the Life of Liv.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nepal

I thought I should tell that I am currently not in India anymore, but in Nepal, more precise Kathmandu. Friday I thought about going to Nepal, because it is relatively close and because I have always wanted to see that country. Originally I wanted to volunteer in Nepal, but due to the bad circumstances in the country when we were to decide on a project, it became India instead. Anyway, Saturday I booked tickets for Kathmandu, Sunday I took a train back to Delhi and slept at Jahnvis sisters place in Delhi, Monday caught my flight to Kathmandu and was picked up by Ayesha. I am staying at her place and will be here a week untill I have to fly back to Delhi on Monday, because Sanna is arriving in India.
I have only been here for a day, but today we went around Kathmandu with 3 of Ayeshas friend of whom 2 had just graduated from Mahindra college (another UWC school which is located in India). I really like Kathmandu! It is much less crowded than Delhi and it has more charm and atmosphere to it. There are markets with only beads or religous figures or kites or fruits and vegetables and many other things. There are many temples all around the city. We saw the temple where the living goddess kumari lives. She is a 6 year old girl, who is worshiped as a living god. She is not allowed to come out of the temple, nor to touch the ground at all. So her life basically consists of coming out to a certain window at certain times and look down on the people who come and worship her and being carried around everywhere. When she reach puperty and becomes "impure" she will loose her status of a living goddess and a replacement will be found. She girls can be down to 3 years old when they are appointed. I couldnt help but thinking about that girl and what kind of life she must have. And how difficult everything will be for her when she cannot be a goddess anymore and all of a sudden has to lead a "normal" life. I dont think I would like being a living goddess.
Back to Kathmandu, so yes, I really enjoy being here. It is very good to have some company also in the late nights although I often talked to people I had just met in Rishikesh. Ayesha and I are talking a lot about UWC and I havent thought that much about how everything was ever since I came home, or talked that much about it and it actually feels good to remember everything again and watch pictures and talk about all the many crazy things that happened there.
Tomorrow we are going to meet Bhuti, who is leaving for the US Thursday, so I am lucky I just came in time to see her smiley face.
I hope to see some of the mountains as well. Kathmandu itself is in a value although it is surrended by mountains, it is limited what you can see from here. I am in love with mountains so I definitely have to enjoy some views from this Himalaya country.

PS. I have changed the settings so it is now possible to leave an anonymous comment, although I hope people will sign, it is more for those who do not have a blog account and still wish to leave a note, which always makes me happy when people do :)

7 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Liv.

Da jeg ikke får lavet en blog, så får du i stedet en anonym... hehe
Skal hilse fra drengene - det er så spændende at læse dine blogs - så bliv ved med at skrive, så vi kan følge med og forestille os, hvor fantastisk det er at rejse og møde mennesker, som du gør, i en blanding med venner fra UWC. Kh mor

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger grzegorz said...

ciao liv!
i have added you to my links and i reckon you should do the same thing!!!
as you will soon read in my blog i have arrived to vancouver and after the weekend i am moving into the residence at the university.
i am really happy for your adventures in nepal. keep the smile up your face. shine on.
grzesiek

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger sopheak said...

hey Liv right now me and Eva sitting together reading your blog abit and we miss you so much today... How is Nepal ? Weather and food there ? Do you like East Asia or not? I can answer that for you! Mail us sometimes! Guess, who is my advisor? hehe is Summer and Muhan. I'm very new one in the advisee group. Do you know just a moment I cooked Cambodian food for Eva and the other friends, they like it so much and it's also my first time as well. You should visit your friend in Cambodia Thea, Øyvin and Ulrika is there. Bye for now we have to prepare for The Theme Party tonight, I can't wait to go there. see you sometime if we are lucky enough

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Liv!
Det suger i maven og sommerfuglene flyver, når jeg sidder og læser dine spændende fortællinger. Det lyder så fantastisk og næsten helt utroligt, når man sidder på SH104 og kigger ud af vinduet. Udsigten over student village er alligevel ikke helt til at sammenligne med den over Himalaya.
Vi er mange her, der følger ivrigt med i alt hvad du skriver, og vi får indtryk af livet uden for Flekke og bliver endnu en gang mindet om hvor stor verden er.
Savner dig, min sødeste Liv!

Eva :-)

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger K. said...

hey!
I have been blog-scavenging today, so I discovered your blog by accident. Your experiences seem wonderful so far, I hope you have a great time from now on too.
btw, reading about the snake tamer in one of the previous posts I remembered a joke I heard recently:
You know what a Russian roulette is, right?
Well, what is an Indian roulette?
A guy with a whistle and 7 cobras, one of which is deaf ;)

Cheers,
Katerina

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger sattva said...

Your blog is lacking something. Any idea what??? Pictures, dear Liv, pictures!!!!!!!!!!;)
Otherwise - enjoyed every word. Keep up the good work!

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej Liv!
Wouw, hvor er det fantastisk spændende at læse om alt det du oplever! Du forstår virkelig at udnytte tiden, mulighederne og Livet. Nyd det! Fik din blog af vores bedstefar, og må indrømme at jeg vist er bagud hvad sådan noget angår -tænk at en ældre herre skal lære mig om at navigere på Nettet :-)
Hygger mig i Vestjylland, hvor det regner og blæser som sædvanlig. Højdepunkt er vist, at jeg stadig kan bade i Vesterhavet endnu. Kan vist næppe fortælle så spændende ting som alt det du oplever, haha! Kh din kusine Mia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home