Liv - ing Life

My updates on my life and thoughts about the crazy things I am about to throw myself into. Welcome to the Life of Liv.

Monday, September 04, 2006

The Taj Mahal trip

This Saturday Sanna and I went to Agra to see Taj Mahal, one of the world's wonders. It turned out to be an extremely eventful day full of unexpected happenings and events. This is approximately what happened:

Firstly, we were tricked into buying these quite overpriced bus tickets on a "guided tour". When we walked towards the New Delhi train staion, we were stopped by a man who said that bookings there could only be done by indians and the it was just around the corner for tourists. First, I didnt believe him at all, because I just dont trust any Indians as a first principle, so we walked on. But then another guy came up to us and said the same thing, so I was in doubt and we ended up following him to this international tourist office on the other side of the street. We came into this little office and I knew that this could never have been the official office, but well, nevermind. The guy there "called" the train department and unfortuantly (??) everything was sold out, even on 1st class (I dont know why I bought it). So luckely for us there was a bus departing from their office at 6 am taking us right to the Taj Mahal, the madn said. Only 750 rb return. So, we ended up doing that. Later I was so annoyed at myself for not realizing how tricked we were, but I guess you need to fall into the trap once in order to avoid it later.
But then the actual day was so full of surprises and weird events that we eventually were almost happy we had accepted. First of all, the bus was 2 hours late because it was raining extremely heavely in the morning. We were picked up by a small car (which i first refused to get into and Sanna was afraid they would lead us into a dark alley with a brothel, haha) and then eventually lead to the bus. When we finally reached Agra, we were told to leave the bus before everyone else and then we got our own private tour guide that drowe is around Agra before going to the Taj. The driver wanted to show us some local handy craft he said. Okay, fine fine... Then we were let to 3 different shops where it was so obvious they were expecting us to buy something even though they kept on saying that it wasnt their intention AT ALL.. I just looked at the things, asked questions about it and left, haha. Sanna ended up buying some clothes but she needed to already, so it was alright.Finally he drove us to the Taj and there we were met by two guys who promised us a free guided tour. hm... Very suspicious of course, but I thought that if they said it was free I wouldnt have to give them money. So after paying the ridiculous high amount of money for the entry (it costs around 100 Dkr for tourists and 3 Dkr for Indians) both Sanna and I got our own private guide around the Taj. They were with us for around an hour, telling the history and the small details about the building and taking pictues of us. It was quite a nice trip and yes, the Taj really is beautiful and breathtaking.
My guide kept on asking if I was married (??) and I told him I was engaged and so he asked me lots of questions about "my husband". In the end we suddenly had to rush off to meet our private driver (haha) and so we just left the guides really fast and didnt pay them anything. They did look a bit disappointed, but I seriously didnt feel bad. Then we got on the bus again, but for some reason it stopped two places before going back to Delhi. The first was in some temple of Krishna and the second was his birth place I think. There, the whole bus were let into a temple like thing and some priest looking man were looking very serious, talking a lot infront of some ugly figures of the gods and then suddenly handing out papers to some of the men. The men started writing on the papers and eventually they gave the priest money! A lot of money, like 200 up to 600 rb. It seemed so much like a sect or at least I thought the whole thing was really dubious and so strange. Then we were all praying, me and Sanna just trying to do with the others did.Finally we went back to the bus and we reached our hotel room at 2.45 in the night, sleeping untill 14 Sunday...
We didnt understand anything of what had happened that day, hehe. We never found out why we were giving this private driver or the free guides, or why we all went to this strange religous place afterwards, but in the end we got something out of our over-charged bus tickets, hihi.... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home